How do you guys feel about the Harambe shooting?

Hey guys!

So unlike most days when I say that I’m excited to discuss the day’s topic, today is quite the opposite. Today I want to talk about the shooting of Harambe, a gorilla from the Cincinnati Zoo.

Harambe.jpg

First off, I’ll spare you all the deets cause I’m sure you all have been reading up on the situation as much as I have. Google the Harambe shooting though if you haven’t because it is def a good zoo altercation to know the facts on.

I want to keep today’s post (semi) short and sweet, because I want this post to be more of a conversation than just me talking and you reading. I want to hear what you guys think about the sitch!

So basically, my feelings on the whole Harambe shooting consists of 2 parts.

Alright, I’ll sum it up first: Part 1. I understand that they had to do something to save the boy, they very clearly had to save him. BUT, I do not agree in the slightest with shooting Harambe. So this leads me to Part 2. ZOOS SHOULD NOT EXIST.

I am not talking about sanctuaries. Those are very different. I understand the whole species conservation/ taking care of animals that are unable to live in the wild because of an injury of some sort, but keeping a capable wild animal in captivity is SO. WRONG.

I really hate that some people are zoo enthusiasts yet they claim to be animal lovers. I do not hate the people for saying this, I hate the lies that zoos tells the public. When it comes down to it, they are corporations trying to make money off of the captivity of wild animals, and more often than not they do not care about the welfare of their animals.

No animal choses to live at a zoo, and I bet if they did have the right to make choices for themselves, they sure as hell wouldn’t choose to live in captivity on a different continent than where they are naturally supposed to live. It’s a pretty unnatural concept when you think about it!

While the video of Harambe and the boy is hard to watch because a little child is being whipped around, there’s another reason why I realllyyyyy cringe while watching it. Harambe is literally in a cement pit, which is clearly not his natural habitat. Imagine living your life in a cement pit, not being able to get out, as people watch you from above? That’s enough to make any human go completely bonkers. Now imagine being an animal and having no way of communicating or figuring out why you are stuck in this cement pit day in and day out? It’s no wonder zoo animals show INSANE signs of psychosis!

So I would get it if he went a little crazy and was trying to hurt the boy, because he’s stuck in a cement hole as people scream at him from above. BUT! He wasn’t even trying to hurt him. Jane Goodall, the animal rights goddess herself said “it looked as though the gorilla was putting an arm round the child.” Many other animal experts and even eyewitnesses have said that it appeared that he was trying to protect the boy, and that he was also confused because people were screaming their heads off at him!

34C5933A00000578-3616453-Witnesses_said_the_gorilla_looked_like_he_was_trying_to_protect_-a-20_1464619685241.jpg

So not only was he not trying to hurt the boy, but he was actually trying to protect him! He even was holding hands with him at one point. University of New England animal behavior expert Gisela Kaplan said that “If he was going to attack he would’ve warned him first. The first thing they do is charge and beat their chests and as far as I know that didn’t happen.” So basically, he wasn’t hurting the boy and was actually trying to protect him, and didn’t show any signs of violence.  It seems like the “zoo experts” who made the decision to shoot Harambe need some more training in animal behavior…

If you watch the video, he is clearly SO confused! This poor guy is just trying to protect this child, holding him and looking back and forth quickly at people, and then he gets shot! I understand that the child was in danger, but Harambe was innocent. This just further proves that we should NOT have zoos. Making money off of the captivity of wild animals? Seriously, whoooooo thought of that?

Also, I really wonder how the boy felt? Okay, so I know he’s only 4 but little kids really have a good instinct when it comes to animals. Yeah, he had to have been scared because he was being dragged around, but I wonder if he felt like Harambe was trying to protect him?

34C572A300000578-0-image-m-2_1464617445423.jpg

I was talking with my boyfriend yesterday about this whole situation and zoos in general, and we both were saying that even as kids, we felt zoos were super weird. The whole concept feels very fake wildlife Utopia… I don’t know, they feel creepy, like there’s some weird secret going on or something. I don’t like it.

Who remembers Jambo? Not to be mistaken for the word Cady from Mean Girls uses to say hello, Jambo was a gorilla who protected a child who fell into the gorilla enclosure he was living in. He stood between the child and the other gorillas, protecting him, and even rubbed the child’s back as he lay unconscious. This situation with Jambo is universally known as the situation that made people realize that gorillas do not have violent natures.

I am not speciest, so I do not believe that any animal should live their life in captivity. But gorillas? It has so obviously been proven how incredibly intelligent they are, and then to exploit them for our benefit? Disgusting.

What are your thoughts on the Harambe shooting? Do you know of any other situations of animals showing protective behavior over injured children? I wanna hear what you guys think!

RIP Harambe ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤

Advertisements

17 thoughts on “How do you guys feel about the Harambe shooting?

1. Kinda Bexy says:

A bad situation made badder (and the spelling police just said “badder isn’t a word” but in my field of *ucks I see no growth). People learnt again of the plight of zoo animals, because of the failures becoming failureres (now that word could indeed make the spelling police have a complete melt down). Today I’ve a volunteering, not-been-asked-to, job on my hands pulling down illegal fly posters for a circus. that’s arrived in my area. Animals are not to be placed in concrete pits any more than they are to be dragged around in lorries.

• Kinda Bexy says:

I walked into the pub last night stinking of creosote on my hands.
        Why? because some of those fly posters weren’t on metal street lamps via sellotape, but on creosote oozing telegraph poles using a lot of staples via a bloody staple gun!!!

Liked by 1 person

2. Hey_mrln says:

And no one told about the parents who were not watching the child… It’s the same thing happening in other zoo with crazy guy who tried to kill himself naked in lions’ cage… People are stupid and it’s animals who are paying the price….

3. Rachel says:

Your post is spot on. Caging living, feeling animals is wrong and just plain cruel. We are taught that zoos are normal and fun. It’s a learned aspect of life for sure.
    The tradition and mindset of zoos needs to change. Everyone is up in arms about SeaWorld, but have no problem going to their local zoo? There is a blatant disconnect there. It’s scary.
    I hate to use the work brainwashing because it feels so cliche, but it feels like the most accurate word. We are taught to be cruel.

• Meredith Liguori says:

Everything you just said is sooooo accurate hahaha. I hate that we teach our children that the captivity of animals is not only normal, but it’s also a “learning experience.” And yessss about SeaWorld, it is literally the same concept!!! I’m sure a documentary will come out soon about the horrors of zoos and then everyone will boycott them. Fingers crossed at least!

4. Robert Schlotzhauer says:

It’s easy to say what should’ve been done being so far away from the situation. But from what I’ve seen it doesn’t appear that Harambe was trying to hurt the boy. It appears that with a little patience and trust there could have been a different outcome. It’s a shame that we are so quick to turn to guns for resolution of challenging situations.

The zoo and the security staff needs to take responsibility for this. A fence that a small child can fall through is an absolute risk. It doesn’t help that everybody was screaming and scaring Harambe. And why isn’t there anybody on staff that’s developed a trusting relationship with Harambe is another question that should be explored.

Zoo’s in general are supposed to serve as a sanctuary for animals and an education opportunity for the community they serve. I don’t know if getting rid of zoo’s is what’s necessary, but like libraries, they should evolve to fit the needs of today. From a child’s perspective, seeing an animal sleep isn’t that exciting.

Great blog post.

• Meredith Liguori says:

I completely agree about needing a new fence. I cannot believe that the child was jus able to climb in there so quickly! How has no other little kid done that before?! And about a staff member who has a relationship with Harambe, I read an article about the man who primarily raised him from birth, and how he was devastated to hear about his death. He apparently had a very trusting relationship with him, it would have been helpful if he was there at the time though! Glad you enjoyed the post 🙂

Liked by 1 person

5. Mary Ross says:

I thought it looked like he was dragging him around trying to find somewhere he could hide the child in order to protect him. I say that because he would look up at the people as if assessing whether this was a safe place to take the child, then realizing that they were still being yelled at and pointed at (a threatening gesture to many apes, including us), he would drag the child to another spot. If he had been able to take the boy into the bedroom area, he might have taken him there and handed him over, but we will never know because once in the moat, they were stuck. Zoos are just so wrong.

6. Kinda Bexy says:

If we mentally sit cross legged, a very small peaceful thought breathes onto our ear. It is sent to dissipate the horrors of what was Harambe’s life and his death. That at this very moment in time, dear Harambe isn’t suffering and will never suffer again.
    We do not need to suffer the past horrors to make a peaceful now.
    We do not need to suffer to make the future better.
    We need to act in the here and the now, with peace to be the example.